[FFmpeg-trac] #2173(undetermined:new): m2ts made by ffmpeg isn't playbacked with panasonic hdd recoder with some of x264 options

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Jan 23 12:10:22 CET 2013

#2173: m2ts made by ffmpeg isn't playbacked with panasonic hdd recoder with some
of x264 options
             Reporter:  bonconboy    |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by bonconboy):

 Replying to [comment:1 cehoyos]:
 > Sorry, I again do not understand the ticket;-(
 Please don't mind. Probably my explanation is not enough.

 > Why do you want to use "vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000:nal-
 hrd=vbr"?
 In general, nal-hrd=vbr enhances the conmpatibity of a video stream.
 And blu-ray needs nal-hrd=vbr. Many AVCHD reproduction equipment, too.
 https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home
 http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533
 http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2010-March/007049.html
 an example in x264(r1480)
 {{{
 x264 --crf 16 --preset veryslow --tune film --weightp 0 --bframes 3 --nal-
 hrd vbr --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --level 4.1 --keyint 24
 --b-pyramid strict --slices 4 --aud --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709"
 --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 -o
 }}}
 "bluray-compat" of x264 option forces the number of bframe,
 bpyramid(=normal or strict), weightp(0 or 1), aud=1、and nal-hrd=vbr. Of
 course, even when using "vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000:bluray-
 compat", the above problem appears.

 > Or in other words: If it works fine without, why do you believe there is
 a bug?
 When using "vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000:nal-hrd=vbr" with
 handbrake to make mkv or mp4 for converting to AVCHD, no problem.
 And I understand nal is addressed in libavformat/avc.c in ffmpeg.

 > And if you can answer the two questions:
 > Do any of the following (untested) x264 options make a difference (does
 it work for some but not for others)?
 > "vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000"
 No problem. x264 addresses vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize, independent of
 nal, though both are the parameter of nal.

 > "vbv-maxrate=12000:nal-hrd=vbr"
 > "vbv-bufsize=12000:nal-hrd=vbr"
 x264 ignore these because nal needs vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize.
 If you need files and console, I will upload them.

 But I cannot identify a cause and if nal is a cause for the above.
 Now what I can do is to report facts.

 my understanding nal. If wrong, please pointing out.
 Nal unit consists of VCL(Video Coding Layer) and non-VCL.
 VCL-NAL unit is slice data.
 Non-VCL-NAL units are
 SEI(Supplemental Enhancement Information)
 SPS(Sequence Parameter Set)
 PPS(Picture Parameter Set)
 AUD(Access Unit Delimiter)
 Filler data(since x264 r1480, when using --nal-hrd=cbr)

 SEI-NAL can includes some SEI messages
 Buffering period
 Picture timing
 User data registered by ITU-T Recommendation T.35
 User data unregistered(the enode settings in x264)
 Recovery point(including broken_link_flag)
 and so on. omit them because x264 don't use them

 SPS is basic information of decoding stream
 profile_idc
 level_idc
 num_ref_frames
 pic_width_in_mbs_minus1
 pic_height_in_map_units_minus1
 frame_mbs_only_flag
 mb_adaptive_frame_field_flag(MBAFF)
 direct_8x8_inference_flag
 frame_cropping_flag
 VUI(Video Usability Information)
 and so on. omit them

 PPS is necessary information for decoing each picture(frame)
 entropy_coding_mode_flag(CAVLC/CABAC)
 weighted_pred_flag(weightp)
 weighted_bipred_flag(weightb)
 pic_init_qp_minus26(QP)
 chroma_qp_index_offset
 deblocking_filter_control_present_flag
 constrained_intra_pred_flag
 slice and picture corresponding infomation
 and so on. omit them

 AUD(Access Unit Delimiter)

 The order of NAL unit is important, eg、AUD, SPS, PPS, SEI…..

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2173#comment:2>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>