[FFmpeg-trac] #6299(avcodec:new): Add option for filler / nal-hrd cbr to h264_vaapi encoder similar to the libx264 encoder

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Apr 10 03:32:34 EEST 2017

#6299: Add option for filler / nal-hrd cbr to h264_vaapi encoder similar to the
libx264 encoder
             Reporter:  mmvb         |                     Type:
             Blocking:               |  master
Analyzed by developer:  0            |               Blocked By:
                                     |  Reproduced by developer:  0
 I'm not sure to which extend this is possible with VAAPI, but it would be
 nice to see an option for adding filler/padding similar to the -nal-hrd
 cbr and -filler options of the libx264 encoder.

 It seems that Intel QSV can already do this using its CBR rate control
 mode, but QSV is only available on just a few platforms because of the
 limitations of Intel Media Server Studio (only supports specific CPU
 series, this is an artificial limitation set by Intel), it's also a
 complicated process to get it working on Linux if you happen to have a
 supported CPU.

 I want to use this option to create a true constant bitrate encode for
 RTMP streaming, without using a software encoder like libx264.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6299>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>