[FFmpeg-trac] #6641(ffmpeg:new): Severe artifacts when decoding WMV / WMV3 (Windows Media Video 9) / VC-1 videos

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Sep 6 22:22:07 EEST 2017

#6641: Severe artifacts when decoding WMV / WMV3 (Windows Media Video 9) / VC-1
videos
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
             Reporter:  batou     |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0         |
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Summary of the bug:
 I've noticed that new versions of mpv video player cannot play WMV videos
 reliably anymore. There are always visual artifacts every minute or so
 (keyframes maybe?).

 Today I had some time and decided to investigate. Artifacting only occurs
 with VC-1 WMV videos (not older codecs). I've asked for help from mpv team
 but they sent me here since it's not an mpv issue.

 Here's an example of artifacts: Left is ffmpeg-based player (mpv) and
 right is a player that doesn't use ffmpeg:

 https://i.imgur.com/jtHTe34.jpg

 Usually, it's not as severe as this example but this bug makes WMV videos
 completely unwatchable in mpv.

 Sample video:
 http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/WMV9/halo2_wmp9_WMV3+audio0x162.wmv

 {{{
 $ mpv --version
 mpv 0.26.0-237-g5771f7abf4 (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
  built on Linux x86_64
 ffmpeg library versions:
    libavutil       55.74.100
    libavcodec      57.105.100