[FFmpeg-trac] #7107(undetermined:new): ffmpeg fails silently and generates corrupt file if -ss is used on MP3 file with wrong length

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sat Mar 24 15:25:20 EET 2018

#7107: ffmpeg fails silently and generates corrupt file if -ss is used on MP3 file
with wrong length
             Reporter:  fdossena     |                     Type:  defect
  opus, corrupt file                 |
             Blocking:               |
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
 Summary of the bug:
 I have an MP3 file that seems to have the incorrect length specified in
 the header.
 The file says it's 11m38s long, but it's actually 3m52s.
 Normally if I try this:
 {{{
 ffmpeg -ss 600 -i file.mp3 ...
 }}}
 I would get an error, and an exit code != 0; however with this file, I get
 exit code == 0, and a corrupt output.

 Here's the data needed to reproduce the bug, as well as the log:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ua5hyB8iwULI6px-
 wRu9n4AqpDGE1F4c/view?usp=sharing

 How to reproduce:
 Download the linked archive and run this command
 {{{
 % ffmpeg -ss 600 -i "01-Do Whats Good For Me.mp3" -c:a libopus test.opus
 ffmpeg version 3.4, official build, on Win64 (also happens on linux amd64)
 }}}
 It should produce an error, but instead it executes normally and test.opus
 is corrupt

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7107>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>